Thursday, June 7, 2007

Last Post Before Potentially Deadly Surgery

Tomorrow I go in for wisdom tooth extraction. It's probably as dangerous as getting on a plane, what with the drug cocktail they're going to pump into me. For most of today I thought I was going to be able to say "at least I saw a no hitter," but no, Schilling gave it up with two outs in the ninth on a well-struck ball by an incredibly mediocre player. It's the second time this year I've come within one unit of baseball history, the first being when John N. Friedman and I almost saw the Red Sox score in every frame in their home opener (a less well-known but more rare baseball event than even a perfect game).

In case I don't return, I have the following observations to make (reiterate, really), in closing, about the world:
  • Baseball is the king of sports, and basketball and soccer have no redeeming qualities
  • Economics is mental masturbation, and I don't mean just theory
  • The Drive-By Truckers achieved musical perfection with the album "Pizza Deliverance"
  • Women are crazy, but men, with the notable exception of me, are assholes
The movies I plan on watching during my hopefully short and vicadin-intensive recovery period are: Sin City, The Painted Veil, and The Remains of the Day.

No comments: