- courtship, courtship and pre-copulatory-sequence instincts (a distinctive vocalization tone, murmering sweet nothings, hand-to-hand, arm-to-arm, mouth-to-face, mouth-to-mouth, embracing, running, chasing, jumping, dancing, juvenile play patterns, courtship feeding...
- fall, to-fall-in-love instinct
- fall, to-fall-out-of-love instinct
- goo-goo, to goo-goo instinct (The baby of the host family crawls out to explore, and immediately gets lifted high, to be goo-gooed at, and to have its little hands admired, and generally be messed about).
- squeeze, when-a-man-and-a-woman-have-to-squeeze-past-each-other, the-man-twists-towards-the-woman,-while-she-twists-away-from-him instinct
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Excerpts from "A Dictionary of Human Instincts"
I picked this book up off the "Free Books" table at the bureau, which usually just has a huge pile of last year's Journal of Taxes and Accounting. It's basically a long list of "instincts." Here are a few examples, quoted exactly: